Why to buy fairtrade products?
Tuesday, 7 February 2017 | Admin
More and more Irish families drink fairtrade tea or coffee, eat fairtrade chocolates… These products are now widely available in the biggest supermarkets.
Traidcraft has designed the graphic below to explain what is fairtrade:
The artisans behind the products we are selling on fairtradegifts.ie are mainly organized in small cooperatives, often in rural areas. They are highly skilled but have little experience of selling beyond their local market. Having their products sold in Ireland means for them an access to a global market without compromising on their interests.
Fairtrade is based on ten principles:
1. Creating Opportunities for Economically Disadvantaged Producers
2. Transparency and Accountability
3. Fair Trading Practices
4. Payment of a Fair Price
5. Ensuring No Child Labour and Forced Labour
6. Commitment to Non Discrimination, Gender Equity and Women’s Economic
Empowerment and Freedom of Association
7. Ensuring Good Working Conditions
8. Providing Capacity Building
9. Promoting Fair Trade
10. Respect for the Environment
For more information, visit fairtrade.org, fairtrade.ie